Saturday, December 10, 2011

Introduction-for Creative Writing Class


Hello! My name is Summer Semmens, and I’m working on this blog for my Creative Writing class. I am a 36 year old, divorced mother who has gone back to school at Tarrant County College in order to better the future myself and my son, Oscar. I look forward to graduating for the first time in May and transferring to a university to study Speech Language Pathology.

I’ve honestly never been in a class that has made me feel more at home and among friends as this one does. I’ve often thought of it as a support group of sorts. That being said, I’ve been asked to discuss why I appreciate the written word as well as what I like about writing. How to begin…

First and foremost, I love reading pieces of work from writers before me. It is an amazing feeling to read words written many moons ago that are just as inspiring, if not more so, than when they were written. Some of my favorite writers are Sylvia Plath, Charles Bukowski, Walt Whitman, Maya Angelou, Tom Robbins, David Sedaris, Jack Kerouac, and countless others. I feel it important to also mention that although these authors are important, equally important are the class members that I have gone through the semester with. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed being in class with everyone as well as reading their work. What a fantastic group of individuals I’ve been lucky enough to stumble upon! Professor Tricia Barker has been one of us throughout the semester. Each Tuesday and Thursday, we gather in a circle and either write or discuss writing. Professor Barker has made a point of doing each assignment she has given us. What an inspiration she has been for all of us! Professor Barker, thank you!!! You’ve reintroduced me to amazing literature that I’ve let take a backseat in life. Thank you so much for rekindling my love of literature!

I am going to add a few pieces that I’ve written in class. Please feel free to let me know what you think! Good or bad, it’s all relative!

Thank you for reading!
Summer Semmens

No comments:

Post a Comment