Saturday, December 10, 2011

Flash Fiction

This is a piece I wrote in class when asked to take a topic and write without being overly wordy. I believe the assignment asked for us to stay under 100 words... Here is my attempt:

He stands at the head of the class. Mumble. Mumble more. Mumble quieter. Students ask questions. Beige answer given. Eyes heavy. Visions of Mitochondria don't dance in my head. Cellular division? Why do they divide? Are they in this class? Melba toast. Some find it tasty. I find it bland and oppressive. Phagocytosis-good word! Say it again, please? Wait, I think I hear interest? Nope. Beige turned to ecru. Student asks other question. Mumble beige. Mumble Melba toast. This is all so important. Why don't the words enter my brain? They are spoken, life breathed into them, then shaken out like an etch a sketch. More words. More ecru. Eggshell. Nothing exciting. Now we experiment? What livens dry toast? Cinnamon! Nutmeg! Vanilla! NO! Too vibrant. Toast livens toast. White, dry, teeth breaking, toast. To experiment, we get to look at onion. Wow. Be-still my heart. 

2 comments:

  1. This is the most interest i've had in anything related to biology all year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you Dolly! Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete